Re: ok, what's the trick?

Frank Olson wrote:
> Christopher Glaeser wrote:
>> Got a new Altronix power supply.  The punch-outs don't seem to be
>> punched out enough.  Should I be able to remove one by pushing hard
>> from the inside with a large screw driver?  Or punch with a hammer?
>> Or, is it possible these were only partially punched?  I've pushed and
>> banged pretty hard, and they don't budge.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christopher
>>

> I ran into the same problem with a couple of units as well.  I always
> carry a small chisle and a hammer in the van for just such an occasion.
>  Start at the part of the insert across from the tab on the inside of
> the can.  Once you get it to partially "open", use a pair of needlenose
> pliers to work away at the insert.  The die Alltronix is using must be
> old or the guy that's operating the machine doesn't have it set
> correctly.  I wound up with the same problem on a DSC 1864 can as well.
>  Instead of removing the 1/2" knock out (as I intended), the 3/4" came
> away.  Bummer.

What he said, but be aware that in rare occasions you may still end up
bending the can in ways you don't want.  I give a couple of good whacks
but when I get to the point that past experience tells me I am entering
the danger zone I pull out the hole saw of the appropriate size.

It ticks me off to no end.