Re: DSL filter

On Jun 14, 8:41=A0am, Injun Ear <gonsleen...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't use the cable for anything other than internet. =A0My TV watching
> is all antenna. =A0And I have come up with a better solution...
> A DSL splitter.
>
> Frank Olson wrote:
> > Injun Ear wrote:
> >> Does my Ademco Vista 20P need a DSL filter or does it have one built-i=
n?

> >> The reason for my question is that my ISP is cable and they want to
> >> almost triple the monthy charge. =A0I may have to switch to DSL.
>
> > Ditch all those specialty channels. =A0You could save almost $60 by
> > getting rid of Hustler and Playboy. =A0;-)
>
> >> So, will I need to order that filter for the Ademco?
>
> > There are a number of DSL filters out there. =A0I don't think Ademco
> > actually makes one. =A0To be on the safe side, it's better to have one
> > than not.
>
> >http://www.excelsus-tech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=3Dproducts.category&id=
=3D6

> > Good luck!!

RHC: Sir, be careful with any sort of "splitter" arrangement, It is
possible you may mess up the line exclusion feature, or perhaps even
disable the alarm's ability to call out to the monitoring station. I
suggest you test the alarm to the station just to make sure your
wiring arrangement hasn't messed up the alarm...!!

Using a DSL filter, even when not absolutely necessary for alarm
transmission assurances, has the advantage of allowing your alarm
panel to cut off your phones WITHOUT simultaneously cutting off your
DSL service. The DSL service will be totally unaffected by any alarm
transmissions and you won't have to wait while it re-synchronizes with
the server because it simply won't get cut off. I'm told it works by
dividing the frequency bands on the line, allocating the voice
transmissions to the lower band while leaving the DSL signal on the
higher band unaffected (that explanation may or may not be
scientifically accurate; however, good enough to describe the
functionality......)

That may or may not be worth the $20 filter cost for you.