Batteries

Tested a fire alarm system and it had batteries in it with a date of 1997.
They still tested good with a Elk battery tester that tests for Mhos.  These
were 6.2 Ah batteries and read 123 Mhos.  They were Carefree Magnum
batteries.  I replaced them anyway because of the age although I kinda
didn't want to.  Now a days I am lucky to get 2-3 years with a battery.  I
got some elk batteries last year on sale at ADI and have had 5 or 6 go bad
already. Can anyone beat that battery story?  12 year old batteries that
were still good! Found a link for them

 http://www.epcompower.com/content/view/5/6/

made by EaglePicher now.  wonder if they are still as good?  is this the
brand that was in the Hubble that lasted so long?