Re: Please recommend cctv dome camera

On Jul 29, 9:04=EF=BF=BDpm, Matt Ion <soundy...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/25/2009 8:07 PM, wdoe...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> Or that annoying "knock", =EF=BF=BD"that it can't be far from the comp=
uter (USB)",
> >> might have something to do with it.
>
> > Actually the complexity of an IP camera is less than that of a digital
> > snapshot camera. =EF=BF=BDYes there is the addition of an ethernet inte=
rface,
> > but there is the absence of:
> > LCD screen
> > Battery
> > Flash
> > Human interface software and buttons/switches
> > Large amounts of storage/memory
> > Decent zoom lens (at least the IP cams I have seen have nothing
> > equivalent to even the cheapest of snapshot cameras)
>
> You're comparing "consumer" gear to "professional" gear. =EF=BF=BDWhen yo=
u're
> talking CCTV cameras, they tend to be more robust and overall more
> versatile. =EF=BF=BDThey often have to live dozens, hundreds, or even tho=
usands
> of feet from their recorder. =EF=BF=BDThey have to deal with all manner o=
f harsh
> environments: temperature extremes, moisture, dust, vibration. =EF=BF=BDT=
hey
> have to be able to be mounted in all manner of locations and positions.
> =EF=BF=BD They often have to accept a variety of power sources. =EF=BF=BD=
And they have
> to operate for years, completely unattended.
>
> Things like batteries, LCDs, flashes, buttons-and-switches, and on-board
> storage add cost and are of little or no use when a camera is running in
> an inaccessible location.
>
> As for lenses, most CCTV cameras have standarized lens mounts that let
> you attach a wide variety of lenses for specific purposes. =EF=BF=BDWith =
> consumer camera, including your webcam and your pocket camera, you're
> stuck forever with the lens it came with. =EF=BF=BDIf you need super-long=
 range,
> ultra-wide angle, or anything else for a specialized purpose, you're SOL.
>
> And as far as "human interface software", pretty much all IP CCTV
> cameras have a web-based configuration utility to let you adjust the
> image far more than the few menus on your typical pocket camera... and
> you can do it from any remote location, rather than needing to access
> the camera itself. =EF=BF=BDSome advanced analog cameras have this abilit=
y as well.

> In short, you're comparing the proverbial apples and oranges... a small
> hatchback to a 5-ton truck. =EF=BF=BDEach has its place, and you can some=
times
> use one in place of the other, but it will never completely fulfill that
> role.-

Isn't the obvious .... emmmm obvious?

When he responed I thought ..... yeh sure, stick a "cheapest snapshot
camera" on top of a 30 foot tall pole someplace in a parking lot, 100
feet from any building, exposed to all the elements, taking "pictures"
24/7, for 10 years.

I never would have taken the time to tell him all this.