Re: Motion Detectors: Infra-Red vs ??

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

>Is infra-red the best solution?   Primary application would be
>detecting deer and smaller animals in order to trigger
>something-or-other (haven't figured out that part yet... in order
>to reduce deer damage.

Sure, IR will work if you have the right sensor (or combination of sensors). I
don't know anything about the Insteon sensor.  Is it even waterproof?

Personally I would use a dedicated panel to handle the automation, that way
relay outputs can be customized to any level your imagination will allow.  You
could use industry standard parts and not have your hands tied to a particular
manufacturer. The ELK-M1G is highly touted here from those that tried them.  I
have not.

 How about using the motion to trip a sprinkler?  That should scare the deer.
Around my area people do the exact opposite -- they trigger feeders and
cameras with the motion detector.