Re: For those of you with alarm storefronts

"CH®IS" <sh@xxxxx> wrote in message news:85opl.13703$Db2.1040@xxxxxxxxxxx
> We're looking at moving our small alarm company into a fairly small retail
> space downtown.  My concern is for the filing cabinets and laptop (with
> DLS on it) though.  As much of a pain it would be to be broken into (nice
> target afterall), it would be a huge disaster to have someone take off
> with our files, many of which have codes and passwords in them.
>
> As such, I'm curious as to what others here have setup for their offices.
> Naturally we'll have an alarm in place and demo cameras recording (who
> cares though).  We may also look into bars or shutters as well.  However,
> the usual tactic is to steal a truck and then ram in into the building.
> In this case, we don't have to worry about the side walls (adjacent
> stores) or the back wall (lousy access), but the front is a typical mix of
> aluminum-framed full-height windows and a glass door.
>
> Also, this place is basically one big room (1200 ish square feet), with no
> interior walls.  I had thought of building a room for the filing cabinets
> as an extra layer, but that doesn't seem like it'll happen.
>
> Any suggestions would be great.
>
> - Chris

For the laptop and any computer that has confidential information on it, I
would use an encryption program.
I would also scan the contracts along with any passwords and store them as
PDFs on the encrypted drive.
I'm not so sure that I would keep passwords and codes in the paper files.
I use Truecrypt for my DLS & Ademco downloader customer files & all the
company financial information, and it works well for me.

Regular back ups of the encrypted file stored off site will prevent the loss
of a computer/laptop being anything more than a fairly minor inconvenience.

Doug