Re: Panel grounding

"tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7e9334a2-056d-4dbe-bc6c-e4ec70a81829@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RHC: Yeah, I agree with you. I keep precise statistics on service
work. With over 1000 panels in service, I have had to replace a total
of 8 boards due to electrical surges damaging the panel in 15 years.
Had I installed the Elk grounding unit for everyone, that would have
been a cost of over $30,000 with limited payback. I prefer to spend
the extra money on upgraded keypads and upgraded pet motions for
everyone, and deal with dead panels as they happen (at $50 a pop plus
cost of a service call). This with a severe lightning strike problem
in parts of our city being a known fact as well...

BTW, two of those damaged panels were at one rural customer location,
and both within a week of each other. I guess the telephone company
plant was poorly grounded. This was early on, and It took me twice to
learn....:((

I have a customer that had been hit twice before I put the elk unit on.  his
house is on a granite outcrop and he apparently can.t get a very  good
ground.  on the third hit the elk unit blew out knocking out the phone line.
but the panel board was ok.  all I had to do was replace the elk unit.  not
much difference between the price of the elk unit and a new board, though.
made me wonder if it was really worth it but it was easier to replace the
elk unit than rewire a new board.  if the panel was like the old moose where
you could just pop a board on without touching the wiring I might think
twice.