Re: Panel grounding

On Dec 13, 9:47=A0am, "Kid" <k...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> RHC: Yeah, I agree with you. I keep precise statistics on service
> work. With over 1000 panels in service, I have had to replace a total
> of 8 boards due to electrical surges damaging the panel in 15 years.
> Had I installed the Elk grounding unit for everyone, that would have
> been a cost of over $30,000 with limited payback. I prefer to spend
> the extra money on upgraded keypads and upgraded pet motions for
> everyone, and deal with dead panels as they happen (at $50 a pop plus
> cost of a service call). This with a severe lightning strike problem
> in parts of our city being a known fact as well...
>
> BTW, two of those damaged panels were at one rural customer location,
> and both within a week of each other. I guess the telephone company
> plant was poorly grounded. This was early on, and It took me twice to
> learn....:((
>
> I have a customer that had been hit twice before I put the elk unit on. =
=A0his
> house is on a granite outcrop and he apparently can.t get a very =A0good
> ground. =A0on the third hit the elk unit blew out knocking out the phone =
line.
> but the panel board was ok. =A0all I had to do was replace the elk unit. =
=A0not
> much difference between the price of the elk unit and a new board, though=
.
> made me wonder if it was really worth it but it was easier to replace the
> elk unit than rewire a new board. =A0if the panel was like the old moose =
where
> you could just pop a board on without touching the wiring I might think
> twice.

Im dealing with commercial fire and high end combo fire/burg panels
and the panels have to work its a life safety issue
and we get plenty of lightning and high wind storms, brown outs ,
poles hit etc here in Pa. so the protection is well worth it $25.00 to
save upwards of several thousand dollars.

Have customers who had direct hits and there buildings were saved as
well as vast majority of equipment was saved Vs other buildings hit
around here that went up in flames go figure.
It is just like the $100.00- 3 phase power protectors I install on
machines etc which saves thousands of dollars in motor replacement.