Re: Life Sucks, Then You Move On

On Dec 4, 9:22=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2:10 pm, JoeRaisin <joeraisin2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Oh yeah... My NICET Certification is good to 2012 but how do I go about
> > getting and documenting recertification requirements? That used to be
> > done by my supervisor and at the time I wasn't interested in the proces=
> > - I just filled out what they told me to fill out and went back to work=
.

> Someone else here will have to answer that, I don't have a clue.
>

> > Did I mention that I'm one of those guys who has never really wanted to
> > work for myself 'cause it scares the shit out of me...-
>
> You know what that reminds me of? A long time ago I hired a kid as a
> helper to run wires for me in this residential job that had some
> pretty tight attic crawl spaces. He had no experience but he was built
> slim and wanted the $10.00 an hour that I was offering. We get to the
> job and I take him up to the attic and show him what I want him to do.
> He's up in the attic on his belly and I'm down below snaking up. After
> about 15 20 minutes he's coming down the attic hatch all upset and
> really distressed. I ask him what's the matter. Almost in tears, he
> says ... I can't do this job. I gotta go home right now. I said,
> what's the matter. He says, I must be allergic to the insulation, I'm
> itching all over. I gotta go home! =A0I told him get the hell back up
> there EVERYBODY itches from insulation. I took some and rubbed it on
> my arm and said Wow, that shit itches like crazy. See how I ignore it?
> Now get back to work. You'll get over it in time.
>
> The moral of the story is ...... WHAT? do you think your the only one
> who'd ever been scared shitless to start their own business?
> EVERYBODY is afraid of what could happen if they fail. Just like war
> heros. They're no differen't than anyone else. They're afraid too.
> It's just that they get past the fear and do what has to be done,
> regardless of the possible consequences.
>
> I started my business when I had a chance to move ahead in the company
> I was working for at the time. I knew that if I stayed with them I'd
> probably be with them for a long, long time because I wouldn't be able
> to make the same money working for someone else and I'd be stuck
> working for them, whether I wanted to or not. . I was always the one
> who wanted to do things my way and did, much to the distress of my
> employers. But it turned out I was right more times than they liked to
> admit. Since no one in my family ever ran their own business, I had no
> idea that my attitude was one of the attributes that an entrepreneur
> needed, but I =A0decided to turn them down, quit and set the goal of
> getting 100 monitored accounts in one year. (actually I already had
> 35). I did it with a few to spare. =A0I often say that when I started on
> my own, so many years ago, that's when I learned to live on 4 or 5
> hours of sleep a night. Even if I was in bed for 8 hours, half the
> [...]

Also, I would use a lawyer to find out exactly what the non-compete
entails in your area, so you can get as close to the edge as possible
without getting in trouble. Make good use of all the insider info you
have. I'm not encouraging anything illegal, I'm just saying do what
you have to do to get your foothold in the market.