Re: Life Sucks, Then You Move On

JoeRaisin wrote:
> Lost my job yesterday.  My regional ops mgr and supervisor are lobbying
> to get that decision reversed but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> I'm receiving a military pension which helps in one regard but that
> almost entirely offsets unemployment...
>
> Filed a DBA (Doing Business As) today for low voltage wiring and I'm
> picking up liability insurance Monday.  I have a few questions.
>
> I am NICET Level II Certified and hold a Michigan Fire Alarm Specialty
> Technician License.
>
> 1. What's covered under a non-compete clause?  I won't be installing
> alarms but am planning on trying to subcontract low voltage wiring for
> sprinkler companies.  Mainly (I hope) it will be phones, TV, network
> cabling - things like that (I don't know enough right now about sound
> system cabling but I'm a quick study if it comes to it).
>
> With my license I can do NFPA Fire Alarm Inspections and am told (by
> someone who may or may not know what they are talking about) that as
> long as I don't solicit current customers of my former employer it isn't
> a problem.
>
> 2. I know it varies from region to region but how would you guys go
> about estimating a wiring job?  By the foot?  By the estimated hours? By
> the number of drops?  All of the above?  Money up front or bill later or
> a combination?
>
> As for contacting builders - I was thinking about doing a sort of
> 'resume' thing that details my background, training and what services I
> offer and visiting builders in person.  Any suggestions?
>
> 3. Business cards - I googled free business cards and came up with tons
> of sites - have any of you used such a thing and do you have any
> recommendations?  Simple/fancy - what info should be on them?
>
> 4. Supplies - I know I can get wire at Home Depot or the local
> Electrical Supply house - what other options might there be?  I've
> worked with enough cheap wire before to know I want to use a decent
> product so are there any brands I should avoid?
>
> I know these may be basic and perhaps dumb questions but I've never had
> to deal with such things before and I have to admit I'm still a little
> befuddled and off balance - pretty sick to my stomach as well.
>
> Is there anything else I should be considering?  I am totally a fish out
> of water here but, being in Michigan, there's a lot of folks lining up
> for 7 buck an hour night stock jobs so, while I do plan on looking for
> something, and who knows - this might work out.  Regardless, I've got to
> do something or we don't eat.

Oh yeah... My NICET Certification is good to 2012 but how do I go about
getting and documenting recertification requirements?  That used to be
done by my supervisor and at the time I wasn't interested in the process
- I just filled out what they told me to fill out and went back to work.

Did I mention that I'm one of those guys who has never really wanted to
work for myself 'cause it scares the shit out of me...