Re: 1958 ADT video

On May 26, 4:26=EF=BF=BDpm, "Nick Markowitz Jr." <nick-markow...@xxxxxxxxxxx=

wrote:
> They were state of the art at the time
> the fire red pole boxes used the paper tapes too but it went between 2 ree=
ls
> and it punched holes instead of using a pen like the McCullough loop tapes=

> you saw in the video
>
> "Beachcomber" <inva...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >>An interesting ADT promotional video from 1958, complete with phony poli=
ce
> >>and fire chiefs. =EF=BF=BDIncludes old central station footage, for thos=
e of you
> >>who have never been in a non-computerized central station.
>
> >>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3D4363717212007724069
>
> > All those paper strip telegraph printers were interesting. =EF=BF=BDMust=
 have
> > been state-of-the art 50 years ago.-

When I was in the US Navy, we used the Teletype machines that produced
the perforated tapes while we typed. Those machines could do about 80
wpm, out of the box, but we'd have the repair guys tweek them so
they'd go faster. We figured that we were typing a 100 or more words a
minute on some of them. I was a cryptographer and the perf tapes were
ultimately used in cryptography machines to encode messages. That was
back in the late 50's so you're right on with the 50 years.