Re: Networx data format

"Crash Gordon" wrote:

> good luck, I doubt it's open source, so while you may be able to figure it
> out you also may be infringing on someone's proprietary turf.

I'm sure you're right that it's not open source.  However, the protocol he's
seeking likely isn't copyright protected.  He wants to know what values are
sent to denote things like "Sensor Open" or "Transmitter Tamper".  GE has
already shared this information with at least one competing manufacturer, ELK
Products.  ELK uses GE wireless receivers as well as their own brand.

The OP's idea is interesting, though for a one-up I doubt it will be worth the
investment of time and money to develop it.  There are simpler and more
reliable ways to build a PC-centric system as the gentleman envisions.  For
example, both ELK Products and Napco make robust systems with real-time PC
interfaces to allow end users to customize their home automation and security
systems.

Sometimes DIYers will take on projects like this just because they enjoy the
challenge.  One of my clients bought a Napco Gemini P9600 and serial adapter
from me some years ago.  I got him a copy of the Napco protocol along with the
interface.  He developed a home automation software system which you may have
heard of called HomeSeer.  The original app only supported Napco but the
current versions work with a wide assortment of security and home automation
systems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass