Re: Vista 20 and IR motion problem

"Bob Worthy" wrote:

>> It's actually very simple.  The first place I did this
>
> How long has it been since you did any installations?

I stopped installing for pay when I moved to Florida.  I occasionally help
friends and relatives out for free though.

>>  When it's armed, passing by the detector near the top of
>> the stairs disarms the system. Other motion detectors, glass
>> breaks and contacts protect the home in the
>> usual manner.
>
> How can the other devices protect the home when passing by the detector at
> the top of the stairs (descending) disarms the system?

If it's disarmed they don't.  The second method bypasses the motion detectors
if the client descends the stairs.  If no one goes downstairs at night they
remain active.

> I'll bet you sell a lot of relays to your DIYers. Better throw in a couple
> of utility boxes to house all of the relays, as well.

Most DIYers just want a standard alarm, similar to what you paid installers
offer only more comprehensive protection and for less cost.

> A solution that if one where to come downstairs in the middle of the night,
> started to watch the late show and drifted off, has now left the home
> unprotected.

If one were to come down at night with any other design one would also have to
bypass the motion detectors.

> Good job Robert!

Thanks.  :^)

> Then there is the scenario of two people passing each other in the stairwell
> which could lead to either a false alarm
> or a system that didn't arm because of an open zone depending on who crossed
> which motion first. Hmmm.

If there was someone downstairs at the start they would have already disarmed
the system or bypassed the motion detectors.  Nice try, Bob.

>> If for some reason it really matters, ask and I'll >draw a sketch.
>
> Why don't you do that for us so it can be added to the FAQ's

There are no FAQs for this newsgroup.  There's only a _proposed_ FAQ which one
unscrupulous character from Vancouver pretends to uphold (all the while
violating every line of it).

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass