Re: Vista 20 and IR motion problem

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:be6b1f596f5b777dbdeb752209241494@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >I have a handy use for them in stairwells.  With one
>>detector installed at the bottom and another at the top, if a family member
>>gets up at night and descends the stairs the interior detectors are
>>bypassed.
>>But if a thief tries to ascend (Note to Cracker: that means to "go up") the
>>stairs the alarm sounds instantly.
>>
>>Ascending after the downstairs detectors have been auto-bypassed
>>automatically
>>reactivates the interior protection.  This can be accomplished fairly simply
>>using the Napco Gemini P3200 and larger panels or with the ELK-M1G system.
>
> All right, I'll bite.  I'm not very familiar with Napco or Elk panels.  How
> do you do this?

It's actually very simple.  The first place I did this the customer wanted the
system to disarm when he went down the stairs in the morning.

With Napco you need an octal relay board (8 programmable relays).  ELK has
similar products with 16 outputs.  You can make the panel simply disarm when
someone descends the stairs as follows:

1: Program a spare zone as a keyswitch zone without EOL (breaking the circuit
alternately arms / disarms the panel).
2: Program relay #1 to follow armed status.
3: Wire C and NO of relay #1 across the keyswitch zone.
4: Wire C and NC of the PIR across the same zone.

Whenever the panel is disarmed the motion does nothing because relay #1 shunts
the keyswitch zone.  When it's armed, passing by the detector near the top of
the stairs disarms the system.  A motion detector at the base of the stairs
triggers the alarm if anyone tries to go up.  Other motion detectors, glass
breaks and contacts protect the home in the usual manner.

With Napco, shunting the zones without disarming the panel is a bit more
involved.  Instead of a keyswitch zone, the motion detector is wired to a
spare zone assigned to an unused "area" (Napco's word for a partition).  A
relay is programmed to throw if the zone is violated.  This triggers a
latching (DPDT) relay which shunts the motion zones.  Diodes keep things
sorted out between the zones.

This all works fine if the user doesn't mind disarming and rearming manually.
To automate it, another PIR gets connected to yet another spare zone.  Another
programmable relay follows that zone's status to unlatch the DPDT relay.

Most customers neither want nor need anything this elaborate but every so
often someone would ask us to solve a problem where the kids would get up at
night or whatever.  I puzzled over it for a while and came up with a solution.
I'm sure if you wanted to spend the time you could come up with a more elegant
method.  With ELK you can just write rules for the detectors to make the
system do whatever you want.  The ELK-M1G is a full blown home automation
controller though, and cost a bit more than Napco.

BTW, it's been a while since I did this and I may have left out a detail or
two.  If for some reason it really matters, ask and I'll draw a sketch.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics