Re: question about burglar alarm dispute (San Francisco Bay Area)

Do you have a dish for TV service that uses a phone line? Do you have any
other telephone dialers (a.k.a FAX machines)? A daily test timer for an
alarm panel at 1:43 PM is not typical. Since a properly wired alarm would
disconnect all other phones, scheduling it for daytime calling would be
problematic for most customers. Is the time set correctly in the alarm
system? Daily test timers mean daily. You are never home during the day
(even on weekends)? You don't notice your phone "off hook" or out of service
for an hour or so every day? Do you live where there is common access to a
phone pedestal or other IDF or IW (inside wire) panel? Did someone with only
cell service 'dog tick' off your phone service for their dish or other data
signals?
If the alarm panel is the problem, here is what what might be happening. The
alarm panel dials the alarm central station receiver and the receiver picks
up (answers). At that point the call is complete for AT&T billing purposes.
Then the panel attempts to send the data and fails to get a 'kiss off' from
the reveiver; the communicator could be going deaf and not hear the ack
(acknowledgement) tone; the phone lines are dirty and the siganl is
scrambled; the receiver answers, but gives hold tones to the panel in the
queue for too long. The panel then repeats the calling process. Perhaps at
some point the signal finally reaches the receiver or there should be an FTC
(Fail To Communicate) signal on the panel or there should be a LTT (Late To
Test) signal from the alarm company. It would be unusual for the panel to
dial for that long a period (almost an hour) unless it was set for unlimited
dialing attempts (not typical). There are too many unanswered questions to
know for certain what is going on exactly.
If the alarm is now dialing an 800 number it should not be generating any
tolls (unless the back up phone number is not an 800 number too). The alarm
compnay made this 800 number change remotely? They never checked the alarm
system event buffer? Never set the correct time? Never checked the test
timer schedule? As for paying the bill that would depend on what the alarm
company reported and recommended, and when the alarm company did it; and
what you may have chosen to ignore or omit from your post here.