Re: ELK-Guard wireless GSM alarm system

"Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fre83c$g0d$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Your link didn't work, but the product can be viewed here.
> http://www.elkproducts.com/elkguard/service_plans.html

Thanks, Bob.  The correct URL is www.elkgurad.com.  I put a hyphen in there by
mistake.

> It sounds good, and I was thinking, "Wow.  I get calls quite often for
> something that can do this," until I read the following.
>
> Remote Arming/Disarming*
> Arming Schedules*
>
> (*) Not available when Elk Guard is set to "AC OFF" (i.e. Battery-Mode)
> I know it probably has to do with battery conservation.  The unit probably
> goes into some form of cellular sleep mode where it only turns on the radio
> when it needs to transmit, but still, that would be a definite training
> issue when selling.  Also, an issue for repeat clients of special systems
> who want to know why they can do it on some sites, but not on others.

Good point.  For most construction trailers line power is not a problem.  For
the premises under construction though, that is a consideration.

> It would have been really cool to put this unit on a service trailer on a
> construction site, and show the manager how to remote arm, but you would
> need to provide AC even before the service pedestal was installed to give
> them the functionality they need.  That mean solar plus inverter which would
> drive the price of an installation back up.

Memory is non-volatile so program in the features as needed, power it down
(battey and all), then demo it as a system to protect the trailer.  IME those
get targeted almost as often as materials left on site.

> I went ahead and put in my info for a dealer application.  I don't see
> myself pushing this product heavily, but I can definitely see wanting to
> have it in my arsenal for some applications.

Exactly.  It's not the be all / end all solution but it definitely has some
applications.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass