Re: off topic here ?

"alarman" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:V%E5k.5490$r_2.1887@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> dangerwill1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hello All, been reading the group for a week or so. Haven't seen
>> anything listed for sale. Can anyone tell me a good group to sell fire
>> alarm,  security etc.  or is FS posts considered "on-topic" here ?
>>
>> I tried listing 1 piece on ebay to no avail :
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280234414321&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
>>
>> No bids or watches on it and it ends in 1 day.  Maybe I listed it in
>> the wrong category ? Anyway, I have a lot of  equipment to sell. If
>> anyone knows the proper group or forum i'd appreciate a heads up. Not
>> sure I want to waste more time on ebay. The above listing took about 2
>> hours just took get the photo up !
>> TIA , Mark
>
> Heh, nobody in this group, with the possible exception of Bob La Londe and
                                               ^ Insert Space.  LOL.

> maybe Graham knows what the heck that is.

It took me a second to realize what it was.  I've used fiber translators
once or twice, but most of the time cost is a factor, and unless there is
pre-existing unused fiber its usually cheaper to run twisted pair and
powered baluns.  For single camera applications its sometimes cheaper to run
wireless links, but GOOD wireless is not cheap either.

Speaking of fiber...  On one network I have had the fortune to install DVRs
on they connect two facilities with fiber under the road.  The switch fed by
the fiber run is much busier than the switch at the head end.  They have
really nice 10/100 auto switches, that do some cool management for optimum
band width utilization.  Unfortunately they connect up with remote servers
via VPN.  No big deal in the lower utilization main office, but it can be a
problem in the much busier facility across the street.  Why?  Because they
only have a 10mbps ethernet fiber translator.  Geez people.  These things
aren't expensive anymore.  Not when you consider the time wasted for 20-30
people trying to work and waiting on their connection to clear.  Heck it
even slows down on a busy afternoon when accessing their local servers.

I had harped on their IT personnel about the problem the entire time I was
installing the video systems.  Then they complained to me after I was done
about the speed of accessing the DVRs from some areas of the facility(s)
during the afternoon.  I walked the managers over and pointed to all the
pretty little blinky lights on their switch. Everyday they get busy in the
afternoon, and every day everything on one half of their network slows dow
in the afternoon.

--
The Security Consultant
P.O. Box 5720