Re: ESL 1500 transformer

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote:
>>
>> Of course the first thing I noticed was that they had two 4ah
>> batteries in it, and when I did a battery calculation it barely made
>> the 24+5.  Figure if the batteries are more than a month old capacity
>> has started to fade...  I swapped in a couple 7AH batteries.
>
> They put 4AH batteries in a fire panel?  Good grief!

You'd be amazed.  We recently took over a building with an Edwards (GE)
verified fire alarm system.  The main lobby panel drew 1.3 Amps in
supervisory.  The batteries Edwards supplied were 7 AH.  It's an EST-3
with full EVAC.  The building's 21 stories.  The amplifier cabinets had
48 AH batteries, but a fat lot of good they were going to do when the
common control would die after about 5 hours.

On another building we were called in to consult on, one of the biggest
names in the fire prevention industry (in our area) replaced all the
smoke detectors with System Sensor 1400A's.  They're not even
cross-listed to the the Edwards 6500 (the common control in this
particular building).  "Certified Technicians" too.  Right!!