Re: Trick to drilling a larger hole without damaging wiring

<nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Jul 23, 11:40 am, jawdoc <drbro...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to replace a recessed sensor that someone prior placed a non
> metal contact in a metal door.
> I need to drill out the hole bigger. But I don't want to bugger up
> the wire drilling.
> Is there a special drill or a trick to do this?
> I am scared in this particular door to push the wire up that I will
> not be able to retrieve it.
> Thanks in advance!

They do make a specail bit with hole in center but your looking $50 or
better  you could carefully use a dremel tool and widen hole that way
have done sucessfully sevral times

Greenlee makes a uni-bit that will work. If you can push the wire up in the
door at least 1", widening the (probably) 3/8th hole to the 3/4 hole needed
should make retrieving of the wire very easy. Hopefully, who ever installed
it in the first place did a good job of getting it centered. Otherwise it
could be a problem, not only on the jamb side but on the door as well
because you are going to want to change the magnet too. If it is not on
center, a larger hole could be to close to the edge of the door. Take a good
look at things before you start drilling anything.