Re: Trick to drilling a larger hole without damaging wiring

"jawdoc" wrote:

>I want to replace a recessed sensor that someone prior placed a non
> metal contact in a metal door.
> I need to drill out the hole bigger.  But I don't want to bugger up
> the wire drilling.
> Is there a special drill or a trick to do this?
> I am scared in this particular door to push the wire up that I will
> not be able to retrieve it.

If there's enough wire hanging from the hole, strip down to about 2" of a
single, bare lead.  Wrap this around a small clump of steel wool.  Shove it up
and it will stay clear of the bit while you wallow out the hole.  Retrieve it
later with a hooked dental pick or long tweezers.  I've doe this lots of times
and it works fine.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass