Re: OT: Usenet service help

Bob La Londe wrote:

>Well, my last two ISPs have not included Usenet service.  Beamsnail
>said they would set me up with a Supernews account as part of my
>service, but never did over the course of two years.  An on-line
>search shows Qwest offering Usenet in many areas, but when I contacted
>them to see about setting it up on my high speed DSL account they said
>I can't get it on my account.
>
>I just read a few (maybe a dozen) text groups like this one regularly,
>and post a bit.
>
>Tera News seems like a good deal with unlimited posting and 50 meg of
>downloads per day for a $3.95 setup fee that lasts for 10,000 days
>(27+ years), but as you can see (if you look at the headers) I am
>posting from Google groups.  That's because in the last 6 months 95%
>of my posts (that have actually appeared) have taken as much as a week
>to show up, and most don't ever show up.
>
>I'm looking for a decent inexpensive (text only is fine) low useage
>Usenet news provider.  All I have seen so far cost as much as a dial
>up ISP.  Suggestions?

Try also search here: http://freenews.maxbaud.net

Free accounts:

http://www.motzarella.org/
<clean feeds - posting privileges - some skipped articles>

http://www.albasani.net/
<I have not tried this one>

http://news.aioe.org/
<no login req. - 25 posts/day/IP - dirty feed - some NSP's block aioe's posts>

http://www.x-privat.org/international.php
<free and pay - free req. invitation, let me know I'll send you one>

http://news.datemas.de/
<fair feed, posting allowed, site says registration Temporarily suspended>

<open servers>

Feeder Servers <no posting>:
<there are plenty more>

Paid server:
http://www.individual.net/
<The German server - $14.55/year (10 EUR) -excellent spam filters, good
retention, high quality server>

-----

I use Forte Agent and suck feeds from 4 servers so I pickup posts that other
servers drop, then just post from Motzarella or my ISP.  I also have NewsProxy
running in 4 separate instances to filter Google Grouper's in some NG's and
x-posts to alt.usenet.kooks, and various other annoyances.

--

-G