Re: An Open Letter to Brinks Home Security

On Apr 4, 3:47=A0am, Anonymous <x...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Brinks Home Security,
>
> Everytime I watch TV, I see several of your ads in regular rotation. Usual=
ly, your ads feature a single or married white female who is at home alone, =
with her husband, or with her children. All of the sudden, panic strikes! A =
burglar smashes the window, and the woman screams in terror!

> What I find troubling here is that any male would-be-victims (if any are s=
hown at all), aren't distressed, and sometimes, these male victims just aren=
't shown at all. What message does this convey? To me, it says that women ar=
e afraid of burglars and SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE AFRAID because it will financ=
ially benefit Brinks when women are kept in perpetual fear. To me, it says t=
hat Brinks believes that women are the only ones who are victimized by viole=
nce, and that men are either above it, or they are completely capable of sin=
gle-handedly defending themselves and their families. Lastly, Brinks is perp=
etuating the myth that women need male protection, and that "getting a man" =
(boyfriend, husband, and then Brinks) is the only way women can stay safe! I=
sn't this a bit of a sexist double standard that Brinks is capitalizing on?

> My response to the spatial patriarchy women experience is this: Women are =
victimized, hurt, and murdered MOST OFTEN by their live-in husbands and boyf=
riends. They are also hurt often on dates with men they already know. Being =
hurt, victimized, and murdered by A STRANGER actually happens much less ofte=
n that these acquaintance/husband/boyfriend attacks happen. Why doesn't Brin=
ks show this reality in their commercials? Because it wouldn't financially b=
enefit the "home security system" industry!

> Brinks feels the need to perpetuate the myth of "perpetual female victimho=
od/male protection" because Brinks won't profit if they say the truth, which=
 would be something like this: "You are a female. You have a husband, a live=
-in boyfriend, or you date men who you sometimes invite into your home. You =
might as well not even bother getting a home security system since you are s=
leeping with the most risky person every night." Nobody would sign up for th=
eir service, I guess, if they said it that way.

> In conclusion, Brinks Home Security TV commercials are unrealistic, sexist=
, and misleading. I'm sick of these ads!

> - A Dissatisfied Lady who Carries Pepperspray Instead
>
> Source:http://kristy-chan.livejournal.com/783079.html

How come in these commercials you never see some towel head or a China
man breaking into these houses? Its always some stupid ass looking
white guy. I think there's some racist shit going on here.

Stupid ass looking white guys should to get together and revolt
against this shit.