Re: Honeywell Galaxy Panels

> I've heard that the Honeywell Galaxy (possibly  the 3-48C) may well be the
> one to go for, but I do have a number of questions:
>
> 0) The big one - is this kit installable by a reasonably competent DIYer
> and electronics hacker, who also happens to be a software guy by trade, or
> does it really need to be installed by an alarm company (with their darned
> maintenance contracts).

The Galaxy systems can be installed by a competant DIYer but may be a bit of
an overkill and different terminology can be confusing. You may be better
off looking at a cheaper, easier panel to work with. A smaller version
Cooper Menvier or Scantronic panel may be a better choice.

> 1) I've got 9 zones of 4 wire sensors (6 wire to the PIRs) and a PAB.   It
> appears that the Galaxy uses two wire technology.   I assume that means I
> need to open up all my existing sensors and install lots of resistors to
> allow tamper detection to work - is that right?

That is correct as the Galaxy range does not allow to install to without
resistors.

> 2) The existing system has a builtin loudspeaker in the panel, I assume
> the Galaxy needs to have one fitted?

Correct

> 3) The existing system has a keypad builtin to the control panel as well
> as an external keypad in another room.   I assume that I need TWO external
> keypads for the Galaxy - is that right?

Yes

> 4) I have a external SAB (Stand-Alone-Bell) unit with a strobe.   The
> strobe is driven off its own relay in the control panel (two wires), and
> the SAB has four wires - +ve, -Ringing, 0V (-ve), and Tamper Return.   Can
> this be driven from the Galaxy?

The SAB will be able to be controlled by any new panel.