System Sensor i Series Sensitivity Testing

Does anyone else have any problems with the System Sensor 'Sens-Rdr' IR
sensitivity tester?

I seem to have a problem getting readings quite often.  I just finished
a test with two loops of smokes on an FA1600.  Zone 1 smokes gave
readings with no problems but the zone 2 smokes wouldn't.  When I tested
them with 'smoke check' they performed perfectly, but I couldn't get a
single sensitivity reading.

I called system sensor and their advice was to try it with the lights
out - no difference, except I banged my shin (they are in a basement).