Ademco Vista 40 - home user configurable?

Hello all,

Is the Vista 40 series something that is reasonably fathomable for a
non-security-expert? I have a system that has a few broken or missing
fire detectors and door alarms, and was considering getting it working
by myself, either that or just calling Sentry and having them come
round and check it over and teach me how to use the thing. My
experience level is very little with these alarms in general, although
I have fixed up an IP camera and alarm system that is currently
monitoring my house. I'm going to print out the manual tomorrow and
look it over, but I just wanted some feedback if other users have
managed to get things working by themselves.

One thing I particularly want to do is have the system call ME (on my
cellphone), rather than a monitoring company.

Thanks for any advice,

Dean