Home security monitoring service

I was looking around for a home security monitoring service.
The house in RDU, NC has ADT equipment installed by the previous owner.
I called CPI and they offered me a 36 mo contract at $30/mo & I could use a
cell phone instead of a land line.
I could use their standard package without any additional fees.
I was wondering if I could get a better deal elsewhere, without the
contract?
Do phone companies (e.g. Verizon) offer alarm monitoring?