Re: Changes to Canadian monitoring contract law

On Sep 2, 10:04 pm, Frank Olson <Use-the-email-
li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> tourman wrote:

Ok, I'll take that as a "no", you haven't heard anything specific.

> Where have I said anything that would lead to this conclusion?  I think
> you've been spending too much time in Florida.  :-)

RHC: No Frank, not nearly enough. I shoot IPSC (extreme action pistol
shooting...a sport on the fringes of political acceptability) and
spend as much time getting all the permits to travel around as I do
actually shooting. Lets see now...a PAL for restricted (two day course
and 8 months waiting; an ATT to go to the gun club (only available
through sponsorship by the gun club and a two month wait..good for one
year only; then an ATT to each sporting match outside the province,
plus one to the border and back; then I have to beg some gun hating
petty bureaucrat at the Canadian Firearms Centre to pretty please let
me travel from point A to point B with my handguns. It's all FUCKING
BULLSHIT by a government that caters to an urban anti-gun population.
Canada sucks big time ! When I go to Florida (with the Form 6 for
import / export of my firearms), they leave me alone to engage in the
legitimate shooting sports. They basically trust their population to
own and use firearms properly. God forbid though you mess up; they
throw the book at you. And that's more like the way it should be. No
Frank...not nearly enough time in Florida....

> Well I'm pretty optimistic considering it's a different government
> looking at the thing.  The fact that they're also "Conservative" leads
> me to suspect that they won't be interfering directly with the revenue
> stream of legitimate alarm companies.  After all, we all pay our taxes,
> business license fees, Workers Comp, etc.

RHC: As I said originally, the source of the information was
legitimate; however, neither he nor I can know for sure. That's why I
asked the question on the newsgroup; not to stir up Jiminex
again...."))

> On a side note, I respect your views in regard to the service you
> provide your customers.  You see things a little differently from Jim
> (who obviously doesn't have a son standing in the wings eager to take
> over the business).  Jim is ensuring his business has equity that he'll
> be able to bargain into a very comfortable retirement.  I see nothing
> wrong with this.  All of our contracts are three year terms as well and
> we haven't had a rate increase in the many years we've been in business.
>   We've also never pursued a customer who's decided to opt out of our
> service.  The legal means to do so is certainly there, but neither of us
> would ever exercise it.  A contract is a set of terms and conditions
> that both parties (to the contract) agree to.  I've never yet had to
> coerce a client into signing one and I always make sure to go over the
> wording with them before they do.  There are benefits to a guaranteed
> term contract for both parties.

RHC: I don't really give a damn if a client signs a 10 year contract.
Most legitimate companies don't harrass their clients when they leave;
they treat them just as you do. Whether my son is standing in the
wings or not, I choose not to lock clients in long term. That is just
the way I choose to do my business and it gets me a tremendous number
of clients that I wouldn't likely get without giving them this
flexibility. When they move as many have done this summer because of
the hot real estate market, I thank them for their business and often
get the alarm in their new place (pretty much always especially if
it's a takeover). Plus 75% of the previous alarm accounts come back to
me due to low prices and no long term commitment. I admit to some
initial trepidation at the beginning, but I soon found this is not
really an exposure if you also give good service and a good warranty
and your prices are on the lower side of the spectrum. And due to my
particular set of circumstances, I can still get 30 months if I do
decide to sell. But that won't be happening.

> Now shake hands and go back to your corners.  :-)

RHC: I will if you will...with RLB I mean......  yeah, I didn't think
so....too much water under the bridge :)))