Re: Time to Pay Again, Dinks!

I had no trucks whatsoever. Employees have always used their own tools &
pickups or vans. No cars were allowed unless they ran minor service
calls. However, they were properly compensated for it. I did not enforce
any quotas, and anyone can get time off with 1 days notice. The slowest
tech earned $600wk for a 5 day work week. Everyone was on rotation for
optional sat & sun jobs. At my peak, I had close to 10 1or2 man crews.

My policy was simple. The more you work, the more you make. The $600 wk
tech did great because he was under no pressure to lick it and stick it.
2 man crews generally made $1500wk for the lead tech, $500wk for his
helper/trainee. These guys really hustled and never took shortcuts. Some
even voluntarily worked until 9pm just to get the jobs done on time.

Side jobs were allowed as long as you let the schedule manager know
ahead of time, and done outside your normal work schedule. This was done
in case the employee was approached by an official lurking for
unlicensed activity. Let's face it. An employee is going to do side work
no matter what you say or do as an employer. He will use your wire and
equipment anyway. Why not just allow him to do it in hopes that the
customer will sign up for monitoring? My guys were allowed to take
whatever pulled equipment we had in stock for service calls.

I don't do mainstream installations any longer, but all those
technicians who now work for less pay and longer hours elsewhere still
continue to give me monitored accounts, drop off unwanted equipment, and
pick up equipment from me when the need arises.

If you treat them fairly, it never comes back to haunt you.

Jim Rojas