Re: Bob L

"Just Looking" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:471ce8ee$0$26418$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Are these bass as good to eat as regular Florida Bass? Sometimes some
large
> wild caught fish aren't as good to eat as the smaller ones.  At 22 lbs.
are
> those good to eat also?

LOL.  I have not heard of anybody (modern anglers) eating peacock bass, but
I suppose they would be fine. People have lived in the south american rain
forest and river drainages for thousands of year after all.  Mostly these
are caught by vacation anglers for the experience of landing loads of good
fun fish.  As to relating to largemouth...  Neither are actually in the bass
family.  Largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass are more closely related to
sunfish as they are in the perch family.  Peacock bass are more closely
related to oscars and tilapia as they are cichlids.  Its just an example of
parrallel evolution where two different species evolved to fill the same or
similar niches.

P.S.  Yes, in many species smaller fish have better flavor than larger fish.
Channel catfish and largemouth bass come to mind.  I mostly C&R these days
so for me its more about the thrill of the catch than anything else.