problem with dsc 1616 power keypad

Hi

I'm trying to setup my dsc 1616 system - did the wires, etc.

Now ... if I turn on power the keypad (PK5501) shows the little keypad/
finger symbol on the left and a unset clock to the right (with
blinking colon)
 - - : - -

Pressing any key on the keypad makes the clock go away ... it returns
to - - : - - a couple of seconds later.

If I press hash (#) for 2 seconds or so the keypad beeps 3 times and
the little warning symbol lights up on the right (none of the 4
symbols was one before), the little keypad/finger on the left
disappears.

Not typing anything the keypad returns to the state above.

If I type star (*) or hash (#) I get another beep - the latter seems
to return the keypad back into the state above ... it's weird and not
at all what's expected.

I've reset the the console via the bridge between PGM1+Z1 ... no
change.

Anyone know how to unwedge this?

Thanks
Nils