Re: Evergreen Clause

"tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:c5ffc6d9-2d65-47c9-9505-5e3bce33804b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Nov 15, 11:35 am, Bob La Londe <alarm_wiz...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > One company buys out another and immediately raise rates by $10 a
> > month.  Then they send out a mandatory contreact renewal which says
> > you have to sign a 36 month minimum contract.
> >
> > "Term.  The initial term of this agreement shall start on the date of
> > this agreement and continue for 36 months thereafter,  This agreement
> > shall automatically renew for successive 36 month terms unless either
> > party gives written notice of termination to the other at least 60
> > days before the end of tyhe then current term.  Any notice of
> > termination under this agreement by customer shall be void unless sent
> > via certified mail, return receipt requested, and actually received by
> > company."
> >
> > Sounds like a pretty much standard contract term for the alarm
> > industry with the except of the rather short (60 days) prior written
> > notice to cancel.  I would have just considered it business as usual
> > if received from Brinks or ADT or P-1.  This was from my dumpster
> > service.  They should be getting their dumpster the "F" off my
> > property by end of business tommorrow.
> >
> > Bob La Londe
> > The guy who decides who we do business with.
> >
> > The Security Consultant
> > PO Box 5720
> > Yuma, Az 85366
> >
> > (928) 782-9765 ofc
> > (928) 782-7873 fax
> > alarm_wiz...@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Contractors License Numbers
> > ROC103040 & ROC103047
>
> RHC: Well, I don't want to restart the endless argument for or against
> long term contracts here, but if this is an acceptable way of doing
> business for the alarm industry, then why isn't it acceptable for any
> other business ?  I hope you see the irony here; it's not meant as any
> sort of criticism in response to your post. I am simply pointing out
> that if this sort of dreadful contractual arrangement is OK for alarm
> companies to engage in, then it should also be acceptable for other
> industries to try to "guarantee their revenue stream" as well.
>
> I do believe that alarmco contracts usually give you the option to
> totally opt out of the contract if they raise the rates beyond the
> cost of living clause normally included in the contract. In this
> sense, they are certainly slightly fairer than this companies
> contract.

Hopefully this will show up eventually.  Google is not working right now,
and my free usneet server takes forever.

Anyway,  I agree and I disagree... and so do you.  Well at least you did in
the past.  There are places for long term contracts when consideration is
given.  Also once you agree to a contract you should honor it, but asking
for a long term contract without giving anything in return for that long
term liability is just plane wrong.

--

alarm_wizard@xxxxxxxxxxx