Re: home alarm systems are for sissys

It is completely different in the state I am in. A person is eligible for a
license to carry a concealed handgun. However the number of folks having an
interest in guns seems to be on the decline here. I see far fewer guns
stores in business than I used to see.
During the period 1972 to 2006, the percentage of American households that
reported having any guns in the home has dropped nearly 20 percentage
points: from a high of 54 percent in 1977 to 34.5 percent in 2006
The historical roots to gun ownership in the US versus Canada are very
different. That suits me as it seems to suit you as well.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for
dinner. Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin

"tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> RHC: Frank, it's quite a different "mind set" south of the border
> relative to firearms. It is one of those societal things that
> differentiates Canada and the US. North of the border, we use firearms
> for hunting and sporting purposes, and there is no right to carry for
> purposes of protection. Unless you are a rare exception such as a
> geologist working in the far north, a permit to carry is only
> available to police officers, and only then when they are on duty.
> This dates back to as far as 1874 when the RCMP used to disarm Montana
> cowboys driving their cattle across the border to market up north. We
> have a long tradition of treating sidearms with suspicion, and
> ownership and use in Canada is severely restricted (ask me how many
> permits I need to own and transport to various competitive meets
> across North America).  Any firearm of any type in Canada has to be
> stored in a safe manner, in an unloaded condition, so it never would
> be available for personal protection. The ONLY place I am allowed to
> carry my competition handguns in a holster is on the range (where it
> is actually encouraged to maintain security against theft).
>
> As much as I have a lot of mixed and somewhat confused feelings about
> this business of carry for self defense, when all is said and done, I
> prefer our system of control versus the free and easy access in the
> USA. I just wish Canadian authorities would let up a bit on the
> restrictions once you do go through all the shit to get approved. And
> the continual stream of anti-gun bias from politicians and the left
> wing press does nothing to make firearm owning Canadians comfortable
> that one day they won't wake up and find themselves legislated out of
> existence through some idiotic "feel good" piece of legislation. As I
> said, I am quite ambivalent about the differences, but the strong
> lobby in the NRA is a true blessing for our American friends. We could
> sure use a bit of that political strength up here to keep the
> political nut cases on their toes....
>

> > Know what?  I simply don't understand the "need" some feel for having a
> > gun in the house...  or in your case, several.   What is it about the
> > 49th Parallel?  Is it like...  "crossing over" to the "Dark side"???
:-)