Re: home alarm systems are for sissys

Sir, I suggest to you that total dependency on a firearm to protect
your home is equally illogical. Proper home security is a mixture of a
lot of different things, of which an alarm system (and a gun) are only
one. If you care to read a bit, my site will explain what I mean.

Living in the USA, you are living in a country which allows you the
right to own and carry a firearm, subject to what I would consider
only minor restrictions. However, most other law abiding countries in
the world do not allow such actions, or if they do, it is only
available subject to major restrictions and licensing.Carrying a
firearm for personal defense carries with it an enormous
responsibility !! One of the things never mentioned in discussions
about firearms use for home defense is the pyschological trauma
suffered should you choose to shoot an intruder. Unless a person is
totally devoid of human emotion, such an event will have a major
impact on you, sometimes scarring you for life. I suggest you might
want to think long and hard about using a gun against another human
being, even when it is allowed by law.

And "no", I am not an anti-gun type ! I am decidedly "pro gun" and use
handguns for competitive action shooting around North America. But
using a firearm against another person is not to be taken lightly, and
should only be a measure of absolute last resort. And as one other
poster pointed out, the onus will always be on you to prove you didn't
use excessive force. If you cannot prove it to the courts
satisfaction, you may find yourself in serious trouble with the law.
And such events give the anti-gun crowd more arguments for their
cause....

While I live in Canada, and have to abide with untold useless firearms
restrictions, one of the things that Canada does well is mandate safe
storage and safe training and use. If I were to be at all critical
about the situation in the USA, it would be the far too casual
attitude that most gun owners take towards safe handling and storage
of their guns. Enjoy your guns (as do I) but remember, they are a
tool. Like a poisonous snake, they require careful handling, but can
be easily handled safely with proper training. But forget the rules
for one second, and they can turn and "bite" you just as easily.

I suggest you also give some thought to other far more effective
things you can do to build up your home defenses.

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com