Re: Raising and Lowering Security Cameras

It's interesting that the contractor has apparently
cited OSHA (inferred from the OP's initial post).
I may be wrong but TTBOMK there is no 10 foot
restriction from OSHA.  There could be a stricter
local or state regulation but I doubt it.

Following is a link to the OSHA general ladder
regulation.  There are numerous application
specific regulations though so this isn't all
encompassing.

http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3124.pdf

The following is quoted from an online store,
Industrial & Safety Supplies at:
http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf132.htm

OSHA Regulatory Requirements
OSHA has separate regulations for portable wood ladders and portable metal ladders.

Portable Wood Ladders
29 CFR 1910.25 addresses wood ladders, and is divided into application, materials, construction requirements, and ladder care and
usage. This regulation applies to common wood ladders and not to specialty ladders such as shelf ladders, extension ladders, fruit
picker's ladders, stepladders or library ladders.

Wood ladders should be constructed of a high-density wood that is free of sharp edges and splinters. Visual inspection should reveal
no decay, irregularities including shake, wane and compression failures, or other weaknesses. Construction requirements include
ladder length restrictions (see Table #1) and step spacing. Uniform step spacing must not exceed 12".

Table #1

      Ladder Type Maximum Length Special Requirements
      Industrial Stepladders 3'-20' Wider than 11½". Must have locking device to hold ladder sections open.
      Commercial Stepladder 3'-12' Same as above.
      Household Stepladder 3'-6' Same as above.
      Rung Ladder 30' None.
      Two-Section Rung Ladder 60' Ladder rails must fit into each other. Upper section can be raised/lowered.
      Trestle Ladder  20' None.
      Painter's Ladder 12' None.
      Mason's Ladder 40' None.
      Side-Rolling Ladder 20' None.

> this will cost him more then the renting for a
> day of a scissor lift...

While scissor lifts have their advantages, they are
not required for this job.

> the OP should stop being a cheap AH and
> start looking at the fact that if he want a
> camera at 20 feet high he need to pay for
> the tools needed to do it..

He can rent what he needs and install it himself
for less than what the dealer wants.

> But one more question here..how come the
> contractor didn't plan this when he first sold
> the camera to the OP

Security salesmen rarely have technical skills.
The rep might not have realized his company
doesn't want to go more than 10 feet up a ladder.
They also might have an agreement with their
insurer limiting the height to which employees
will ascend.

> when we sell camera we always put in our
> quote the price of renting a scissor lift or any
> other device that will be needed to install the cameras... The OP must be dealing with a
> very low grade contractor...that's the pleasure
> of always taking the lowest bid...

Mistakes happen.  The gentleman can choose
to pay for a lowering system but it will still need
to be installed atop the pole so there's no real
savings.  He can pay for the installer's lift rental
or cancel and seek another supplier -- perhaps
one that owns a lift.

BTW, I find it interesting that you refer to the
company as "low grade" yet you also have to
rent a lift you install.  How does not owning a
lift make them lower grade than your firm which
apparently also doesn't own a lift?

FWIW, I don't equate alarm company quality
with lift possession.  Larger firms that frequently
do that sort of job will find it more economical to
own a lift.  Others won't.  My church in CT had
high ceilings with commercial stage lighting that
frequently needed to be changed around.  We
found it more economical to buy a scissor lift
than to keep renting.  That didn't mean we were
high or low budget.  It meant we owned a lift.
Period.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass