Re: Installalation Tips and Tools

Rapid wrote:
> Frank Olson wrote:

>>> I like to use stranded cable for transformers.  It doesn't break like
>>> solid core cable can if the wire is flexed a bunch of times.  Also,
>>> if I have some in the tool kit I crimp spade lugs on the wires rather
>>> than wrap bare wires around the screw terminals.  This isn't entirely
>>> necessary but it makes a good, solid connection and there's no chance
>>> of a stray strand shorting the adjacent terminal.
>>>

>> Why would the wire "flex" a "bunch of times"?  I realize that you guys
>> int he US really like those screw-in "wall warts", but isn't the screw
>> supposed to discourage the customer from unplugging it?  And wouldn't
>> you use a plug that was "out of the way" and not prone to occasional
>> use?  Our contract stipulates that we must have a dedicated unburdened
>> circuit for the panel.  Around these parts we use a wire in
>> transformer, and all solid core wires.
>

> here in the states if we used a wire in xfrmr we would have to have a
> high voltage electrician come in to wire it to stay within code, since
> us alarm guys are low voltage licensed.  That's why we use the wall
> warts.  I'm sure that wouldn't stop some but .........What do you do up
> there?  Can a low voltage guy wire in an xfrmr to the high voltage
> [110V]or do youse guys just do it and damn the torpedos.
> [like I'm sure many do down here]:)

Running the wire and installing the box technically requires an
electrician.  The customer sets this up before our guys come on site.
Installing the transformer is pretty well a "no brainer" although an
Electrical "C" ticket (limited license) is often listed as a
requirement.  We pull permits on all our jobs, so they're done right (no
exceptions).