Re: DSC LCD5500 Message Programming Question

On May 9, 9:50?pm, "Mark Leuck" <m..le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Odd thing to think

> > > Well I can't speak for the way you choose to install an alarm system
>
> > I would presume not.
>
> > Since you can't do it.
>
> Can't do what? Install? I bet I've done more than you

You really think that you've installed more alarm systems than I have?
I don't mean just program while you're sitting behind your desk doing
a boilerplate download.

 A number of years ago I tried to estimate how many installations I've
done through the years (37, going on 38) (how many years did you say
you actually installed (?) two was it? Well anyway, I estimated I'd
installed somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand alarm systems.That was as
of about 8 to 10 years ago So it's got to be 4 thousand or more by
now. Not downloaded now ..... but actually installed or been on a crew
that was installing. Back when I started, we were doing sometimes 3 /
4 installs a week for months and months ( I want to say years but I
don't remember)

Now I do anywhere from 30 to 50 a year .... because they're a lot
bigger jobs I don't have as many employees and home theater, resi/
small office LAN wiring, CATV/SAT wiring and whole house audio are
better paying alternatives nowdays.

How about you?

> > And if you did, you'd .... what(?) hand program it?
>
> Yes I would
>
> > Yeh, sure!
>
> You'd say that because your panel of choice is a pain in the ass to keypad
> program anyway, likely too tuff for you anyway-

Not likely. I've been using Napco for more years than you've been in
the trade, (early to mid 80's) so their kepad programing is second
nature. Back in the 90's I installed my first Gemini panel and
immediately afterwards, I went out and bought a laptop dedicated to
programing panels. It just doesn't make any sense to waste any time at
all when all it takes is 20 or so minutes to do a 40 /50 zone panel
with a laptop. Especially zone naming. I type 40 to 60 wpm ( US Navy
Radioman, Cryptographer. Morse code over 60wpm and teletype operator
at about 90wpm) so it's really a breeze for me, which I can see would
be a deterrent to those who one finger or don't type at all.

And by the way, something that you've often said is ..... that more
people hand program than use laptops. I guess it must be a something
about the people you deal with. I've used your "statistic" in
conversations around here and even mentioned it at an association
meeting as if it were true and nobody I've ever talked to, ever
programs anything they install by hand around here. Even from feedback
from a few CS people. The small 15 minute panels .....yeah .... but
anything 12 ..... 16 zones up ...... everyone uses laptop on the job
or download from the main office. Haven't found one person who hand
programs.

Must be the "NY minute" syndrome, in action or you've really been
successful in dumbing down your employers customers. Maybe it's some
kind of job security for you to be able to tell them how to do it by
hand.(?) Hell, I guess if everybody programed by laptop, you'd be out
of a job. So I guess that's an advantage for you ...... to deal with
dummy customers(?)  or what?