Re: External Relay Control on GEM-P816

> Thanks Robert. I guess my next stop is
> NAPCO technical support. Do you know
> if one needs to be a NAPCO dealer in
> order to call technical support?  If not,
> I can do the calling so I don't need to
> bother you.

Napco (like most alarm manufacturers)
won't talk to end users.  Their customers
are alarm dealers so they only want to
talk to us.  The reason is they can explain
something to someone like me or Jim and
we will service a thousand customers --
or they can explain the same thing to a
thousand users.  Their cost of manpower
for tech support would go through the roof
if they suported end users directly.  Also,
most alarm manufacturers take the position
that alarm installation and service is for
professionals only. Since I cater to DIYers,
obviously I have a different take on that
subject.  :^)

> It would seem strange if they introduced
> support but then could only trigger events
> based on the alarm going off - if that was
> the case, it wouldn't differ any from simply
> hooking one of the X10 modules up to the
> bell terminals to trigger an X10 signal
> when the alarm sounded.

True.  On the larger panels you have a lot
of options to turn X10 devices on or off.
There's still no dimming capability but
for most folks that's not essential to
alarm integration.

--