Re: How to find a reputable installation company

> So far as not having criminals working for them,
> I suppose an alarm company which installs
> "U.L. Grade Alarms" and has a U.L. certified
> monitoring center might have a better process
> of checking out their employees than others...

Where in the UL standard does it forbid hiring
an ex-felon to work in a central station or even
as an alarm installer?

> (Since they would be installing higher security
> systems.) I think most alarm companies are
> careful who they hire though.

Being UL listed doesn't measn the alarm company
installs only UL certificated alarms.  They might
do as little as 1% of their systems to UL standards
and the rest could be "lick 'n' stick" nonsense.

> Note that most burglars are not very bright
> and prefer to NOT work...

True.  Most burglars are drug and/or alcohol
dependent and are only looking for enough to
buy the next fix or bottle.

> So most would not think of getting a job at
> an alarm company...

There's one guy who worked in sales for a
competitor in CT.  He would ask the usual
questions about the client's needs, check the
house and design a system.  He also asked
about the family's schedule -- when the
kids come home from school, etc.

If the customer didn't buy he'd call back after
a few days to ask if they'd made a selection.
If not, he'd rob the house the next day.

*Then* he would call again after a day or
two saying he'd read about a burglary "in
the neighborhood" and was concerned for
them.  The guy was his company's top
salesman until some cop figured it out
and they set up a sting.

> So far as dealing with an honest alarm
> company which will not try to rip you off (and doing business with companies
> in general) - large corporations are more likely to squeeze every last nickel
> out of you and have you sign contracts
> which take you to the cleaners for years
> to come...

There seems to be a pretty much equal
mix of good and bad companies.  There
does not appear to be a correlation between
company size and honesty.  The one area
where there does seem to be a higher
percentage of rotten apples is among the
so-called "authorized dealer" programs.

> (Read every single word in any contracts!
> Beware!)...

Excellent advice.

> Small mom and pop companies tend to be more ethical.

Some are.  Some aren't.  This isn't intended
as a slight against any particular alarm
company or group of companies.  The alarm
industry, like any other business , has good
and bad eggs.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass