Re: How to find a reputable installation company

On Mar 17, 12:26 am, Nick Lawrence <n...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure unlicensed operators happen only in the alarm trade; I suspect
> it happens in other licensed trades/professions as well.
>
> Jim wrote:
> > On Mar 16, 2:14?pm, Nick Lawrence <n...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >>I feel your pain, Rich...
>
> >>This is because one cannot even rely upon the State licensing
> >>authorities to provide timely and accurate information.
>
> >>Consider this: Bay Alarm Company, of Pacheco CA, a CA corporation,
> >>claimed to be licensed, but, in fact, operated its unlicensed
> >>burglar/fire alarm business for over five years beginning in late
> >>October 2000, becoming licensed, only after complaints were filed, in
> >>December 2005.
>
> >>Consider this: Apex Alarm LLC, out of Orem UT, a UT L.L.C. residential
> >>burglar alarm company, also claimed to be licensed in CA, but did not
> >>possess, and was unqualified to obtain, either of the required CA licenses.
>
> >>Consider this: An unlicensed fire alarm company (name withheld) did not
> >>notify the Southland area CA fire department of the address where the
> >>fire sprinkler alarm system had activated, and a $$$ major loss occurred.
>
> >>Consider this: Yet another burglary/fire alarm company (name withheld),
> >>with thousands of subscribers, has operated without either of the
> >>required licenses for several years in the San Francisco CA area, and is
> >>presently unable to obtain the required licenses.
>
> >>Consider this: The examples above are only part of a lot longer list...
>
> > Hmmmm.......
>
> > I was waiting to hear your solution for putting a stop to this unique
> > occurence that only happens in the alarm trade.

What state are you located? If there are unscrupulous persons doing
alarm work, it is not a reflection on the majority of professionals
but the inability of state authorities to keep up. They're slammed
just like building inspectors and fire marshals who are expected to
cover large jurisdictions with no manpower.

The public also plays into this by shopping on the basis of price.

The regulatory agencies involved in fire and sprinklers are not the
same agencies which watchdog residential burglar alarms.

For an apartment, you might consider doing it yourself since you're
renting.
What kind of equipment do you think you need?
Give me a description of your layout and what floor you live on; I can
easily spec it out for you.

Are you in a metro high crime area?
I can find you a locksmith too.

Or give me your ZIP code and I'll give you a list of licensed
reputable dealers.

All those other negative posts are useless.
<>