Re: Tying in GEM-X10 into Napco Gemini 816 Alarm System Controller

On Mar 12, 11:38?am, yeahpro...@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mar 6, 12:51 pm, yeahpro...@xxxxxxx wrote:
>

> > I have recently had Slomins security (a central station alarm
> > management company) install an alarm system in my house. They used a
> > Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller. I'm trying to tie this into a
> > home automation system I am starting to build. I see there is an X10
> > integration module I can purchase (GEM-X10). I will be installing 3-
> > way Switchlinc dimmer switches (2494m3) for my lights, which support
> > both the Switchlinc protocol and X10 protocol.
>
> > The following are some reference links for the products mentioned
> > above:
>
> > Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller:http://www.basshome.com/napco_gemini_p816_662_ctg.htm
>
> > X10 integration module:http://www.napcosecurity.com/testframe.html?g-24gemx10.html
>
> > Switchlinc dimmer switches:http://www.smarthome.com/2494m3.html
>
> > I have all the installation and configuration docs in PDF format which
> > I can send to anyone interested.
>
> > What I want to do initially is have an event from the Napco Gemini 816
> > (e.g. Alarm triggered) to send an X10 command to all dimmer switches
> > to turn all of the lights connected through these dimmer switches.
>
> > Before I purchase all of this equipment, I have a few questions:
>
> > 1) Do I need to reconfigure the Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller
> > for the X10 module? Do I need an "installers password" which would
> > have been installed by Slomins?
>
> > 2) Is there anything I am missing or is this a pretty straightforward
> > thing to set up?
>
> > 3) Any "gotchas" I need to worry about?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> Hello again - sorry for all the questions, but you guys are the best
> people to ask!
>
> I was doing some more research and realized that the GEM-P816 doesn't
> have a serial interface on it - However, I found a NL-MOD and NET-COMM
> module that can tie into either a serial port or, in the case of the
> GEM-P816, the bell and PGM wires.
>
> http://www.napcosecurity.com/images/a482b_netlinkSpecSheet.pdf
>
> quote: "The NL-MOD module is connected to the on-board serial port of
> the GEM-X255, GEM-P3200 and GEM-P9600 NAPCO GEMINI Control Panel, or
> is connected via the bell and PGM wires from the GEM-P1632, GEM-P816,
> NAPCO Express and other control panels."
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this module? Any idea how much it
> goes for (and does the price include the computer software)? What
> would I be able to accomplish with this? And again, would I need the
> installers code to install/configure/use this module?
>
> Also, what is the difference between the NL-MOD and the NET-COMM
> module?
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
> Ken- Hide quoted text -

You need the dealer code to get into the panel to program the events
you want the X10 module to react to. And, so far as I can remember,
all accessory modules need some sort of set up within the dealer
programing.

I'm not too sure about the 816, but on the other panels the end user
can change a few of the items that only pertain to the user, like the
time, the user codes etc. Other than that, you need the dealer code.

In a previous post, I gave you an alternative to get X10 to work with
the panel. You also have to keep in mind that Slomins may have
provision in their contract that would prohibit you from adding
anything to this panel yourself. I'd suggest you read it before you
proceed. Their concern would be that you would add something to the
panel that would prevent it from doing it's job. They have no idea
what your proficiency is in doing things of this sort so it' likely
they have something in their contract.