Re: Hey Roland and others: Arecont Vision 1.3 Mpixel Network(IP) Camera

Cam-man wrote:
> Roland Moore inspired greatness with:
>

>>I don't think using a series of switches (or hubs for that matter) is an
>>accepted practice for extending an Ethernet run beyond 100 m. If you find
>>yourself in that situation I think fiber modems and such are recommended.
>

> Probably so, I'm no WAN expert by any means.
>
> One thing is certain, everyone who wants a future in this industry is
> going to have to learn it.  We are in a state of convergence to IP
> that can not be ignored.

I can't help but remember going into a site once, years ago, that was running
all on token-ring... we were switching everything over to ethernet, and
initially just replaced the jacks at the workstations and repatched the
crossovers at the BIX block... the machine in the building super's office, at
the farthest corner from the server room, got a link, but no traffic or IP from
the DHCP server.  (This is where some wag points out, we shoulda put an ethernet
card in the machine as well... actually, there were all new ethernet-equipped
workstations going in).

Further investigation revealed that the cable run to the super's office was a
zig-zagging 400+ feet of Cat-3 with at least three splice points, one of them
inside a junction box with a bunch of 120/240 electrical... we were amazed that
the T-R had actually worked through all that!  We had the cabling contractor
come in and pull a new, uninterrupted Cat-5 run back on as straight a line as
possible, to get it working.

Just thinking how weird it would be to see a resurgence of token-ring,
particularly in the abandonded gigabit T-R spec, to overcome some of the
limitations of ethernet in these kinds of situations...