Re: Slightly off topic: Motion Det. Lights

We've been  having good luck with ones from Home Depot...about 50 bucks for
double halogen with auto dim (which is nice). If they can stand up to a
couple of years in desert sun they're ok in my book. Out here you're lucky
to get 2 years on a car battery no matter what they're rated at!

On Mar 8, 3:52?pm, "Charles Schuler" <charleschu...@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> This is a security issue since motion-triggered outside lighting is a
> first-line deterrent.
>
> Why don't the darned things work reliably? My home is on its fourth unit
> (in 4 years). I am about to give up. They work for a while and then get
> goofy. Stay on, quit entirely, cycle, false trip, and so on.
>
> My latest unit has a battery-powered, remote sensor and that was great for
> while ... no false tripping and no lock-ups or cycling. Now, it too has
> gone goofy after 6 months. Yes, I put in new AAs.
>
> Checking with neighbors who also have motion activated lights reveals the
> same complaints.
>
> Thought that I'd ask here as you folks have lots of experience with this
> kind of technology.

I live in the Northeast, big range of temperatures ..... I don't seem
to have trouble with mine. One thing I will say though. Both of mine
are mounted under the soffets. Not exposed and not facing south.
Another thing .... anything that is exposed to the weather and has a
battery in it .... isn't going to last too long, regardless what you
pay for it.

When I do get a motion detector, I try to get the most expensive one
they have .... that fit's my needs...... which usually isn't that
expensive.