Slightly off topic: Motion Det. Lights

This is a security issue since motion-triggered outside lighting is a
first-line deterrent.

Why don't the darned things work reliably?  My home is on its fourth unit
(in 4 years).  I am about to give up.  They work for a while and then get
goofy.  Stay on, quit entirely, cycle, false trip, and so on.

My latest unit has a battery-powered, remote sensor and that was great for a
while ... no false tripping and no lock-ups or cycling.  Now, it too has
gone goofy after 6 months.  Yes, I put in new AAs.

Checking with neighbors who also have motion activated lights reveals the
same complaints.

Thought that I'd ask here as you folks have lots of experience with this
kind of technology.