Re: Request for articles or documentation- Issues with Panic Buttons in workplace settings

On Mar 7, 4:17?pm, "Roland" <rol...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know about writing an article but I can tell you about issues. In
> large facilities often no one knows what the button is due to staffing
> changes. They don't know how and when to use it, and it doesn't get reset
> after use if not supervised properly (and tested frequently). In cube farms
> where furniture moving is a sport devices become disconnected, lost or
> abandoned.

In (Many) years past, hold up buttons used to be useful ( I should say
not troublesome)  People knew what they were for. There was a popular
device called a "foot rail" in an 18" housing mounted on the floor,
that could be activated with the toe of your shoe, by pushing up a
"rail". I don't see them around any more. This was an Ademco item and
they also had a undercounter holdup button with a key lock reset.
There was also a "money clip" for cash drawers. Nowdays, they just
seem to be installed to cause false alarms .... for all the reasons
and more, that you've given. Could have something to do with there
being more family owned businesses back then.

I had a hold up system and CCTV set up in a gas station/convenience
store, lots of years ago. The video tape showed 3 big brothers coming
in at 3 in the morning with trench coats on. The first one pulls a
shotgun from under his coat and wants the guy to open the register.
The counter man is so scared that he can't get the register open. The
dude with the shot gun comes around the counter and trys to encourage
the counter man with some shouting and threats with the weapon. The
counterman reaches for the hold up button but before he can get to it
the guy wacks him a few times in the head with the shotgun barrel and
then points it at him as if to shoot him. He didn't, and finally got
him to open the register. They never even looked at or seemed to care
that the cameras were on them. When it was all over, he called 911
anyway, instead of using the HU button.

>From that point until now, I'll do what ever I can to disuade people
from installing them. Some employee, or anyone in a panic situation
like that and not in his right mind just may make the move that could
kill him. Let them take whatever they want and leave. They can call
911 after they leave.