Re: Customers with dry pipe sprinklers need to take prec.

> Hi all with temps this past couple
> weeks going 8 below zero in my
> area for first time in nearly a
> decade 2 of my customers had
> major problems with there dry pipe
> sprinkler systems because a drain
> moisture accumulator which is on
> the end of the dry pipe systems
> was not being properly checked...

We had a similar problem with a dry pipe system many years ago in CT.  In my client's case the problem wasn't a failed accumulator
though (actually, I didn't even know what that is until you mentioned it).  The sprinkler company had tested the system which had
wet pipes in the heated areas and dry in the unheated storage areas.  They forgot to purge water from an unheated area.  Sure enough
the following week turned out to be the coldest on record (lower than -10F IIRC).

We got an alarm on the first warm night when water began to flow through a burst line.  We sent the FD and called the owners.
Because they were close to our office and the owners lived some distance away I kept a key in my key safe.  On arrival I went in
with the firemen and turned off the alarm.  They looked all around and found no water or fire but we could clearly hear the water
motor gong outside.  Finally one fireman pushed aside the plastic strip curtain leading to a loading / storage area and found the
burst pipe.

The water, as luck would have it, was streaming down on five pallets of Speedy Dry -- the stuff they use to clean up spilled machine
oil and such.  There was some water on the floor.  Numerous bags of desiccant had burst open as the desiccant did its thing.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics