Re: Sounds like a set up to me

> One of the Authorised dealers I do ocassional
> work for was told by the large local Corp parent
> near me it was ok to put smoke detectors in an
> apartment building on a residental panel with a
> siren and did not have to use commercail
> equiptment ...

We used to run into that all the time.  While many
alarm companies try to do the right thing, there
are still way too many that haven't a clue what is
needed.  The problem for the consumer is he has
no way to know if the company he's dealing with
is one of them.

Today I sold two commercial fire alarm systems
to DIYers.  Both got exactly what they need to
do the jobs in compliance with code.

> Makes you wonder what kind of authorsed dealer
> program there running when they give out this
> kind of advise. the fire alarm experts are working overtime on this one.

The authorized dealer programs are not intended
to provide code compliant systems.  In fact, they
aren't even intended to provide security.  They are
designed to provide increased, recurring monthly
revenue.  Nothing else matters.  That's why you
keep seeing this sort of thing.  This customer was
lucky.  You spotted the problem and presumably
corrected it.  Some installers would have simply
put in what the job called for and walked away.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics