Sounds like a set up to me

One of the Authorised dealers I do ocassional work for
was told by the large local Corp parent  near me it was ok to put smoke
detectors in an apartment building on a residental panel with a siren and
did not have to use commercail equiptment .Because apartments are
residential. good thing they listened to me and talked to AHJ before they
started the job and lost there ass.\

Makes you wonder what kind of authorsed dealer program there running when
they give out this kind of advise. the fire alarm experts are working
overtime on this one.