Re: Adding a 2nd Ademco 6128 keypad to Vista 10SE W/E2

"Just Looking" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Set all addressable keypads to address 31, which should be the factory
> default address for 6128,

> It would be better to call the monitoring station and put the system on
> test
> first, then power down the system (AC and battery), then connect the
> keypad,
> and then power it back up again. Then test the system and call the
> monitoring station to verify signals, and then take it off test.
> Best of luck.

Thanks for the helpful reply.  I did check the address for the existing
keypad, it is 31.  I see in the instructions that came with the new one that
as you said, the default is 31, so it should be too.  If I put the system on
test, (code-test) then unplug the AC adapter, then disconnect the battery, I
am assuming the system will effectively be non-existing to the ADT, correct?
My concern about contacting them is that, since the system was here when I
moved in, I am not sure who "owns" it, me (e.g., if the previous owner had
paid for it) or ADT (if the previous owner had leased it).   My experience
with alarm companies is limited to a year at a nearby rental, and about 2
months here.  I am quickly learning they can be bastards (my last company
was Protection One, don't get me started... ), and I am afraid there will be
some kind of fine-print clause preventing me from adding components, or
charging me some ridiculous fee if I do so.  I'd really rather just do the
work then fire it up, if this is feasible.

BTW, based on your knowledge of these systems, how old is this alarm likely
to be?

Dan