Ademco 998PI - detects motion but no alarm

I have installed a Ademco 998PI/998EXPI unit. it detects motion fine
(LED glows on any motion) - but does not trigger an alarm.. is there
some pet sensitivity threshold I can adjust? Or something else which
is causing the problem?  When I open doors the alarm works fine. I
have a Ademco Vista-10SE unit.