Re: Sprinklers - Pressure relief

Sprinkler system pressure is usually regulated by street water pressure.
Since sprinkler systems are designed to handle the 3 times the highest
possible water pressure from the city water supply, you don't need to worry
about over pressure at all.

The check valves or backflow preventers are there to make sure the system
holds its highest possible street pressure at all times in case city water
supply falls low, due to drought, or high demands.

Since the check valves & backflow preventors prevent water from leaving the
system, often times the water gets stagnet, and gets heavy soot from oil &
mineral deposits. During an annual inspection, the inspectors test valve is
opened to simulate a head trigger. This should trigger the waterflow switch,
and generate an alarm, after 45 seconds.

It is a good idea to leave the inspectors test valve open for a couple of
minutes, or until the water turns clear. I have been on inspections where
the water comes out pitch black and has a real fowl odor.

Jim Rojas